What is .Net
.Net is not a language; it is a framework that can incorporate multiple languages. Source code is first pre-compiled into something called MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) and then translated into actual executables. Out of the box, .Net supports VB.Net, JScript.Net, C#, and C++. Third-party products are available to extend .Net to supporting other languages, including Perl, Python, and PHP.
.NET provides an object oriented environment. It ensures safe execution of the code by performing required runtime validations. For example, it is never possible to access an element of an array outside the boundary. Similarly, it is not possible to a program to write into another programs area, etc. The runtime validations performed by .NET makes the entire environment robust.
Scope Of .Net
.NET is now a major technology compare to java in deciding jobs. They are plenty of jobs are available in job market for .Net freshers. .Net is now the best technology to learn compare to any other technology because of cool features that are not given any technology available. A person can work as .net Developer.If u want to be the master in it, first select the specific language in .Net choose any one u r interested like VB.Net, C, Visual.
Why Should Go For .Net
- Assembly Manifest - Contains name, version, culture, and information about referenced assemblies. Type metadata - Contains information about types defined in the assembly.
- MSIL code. Resources - Files such as BMP or JPG file or any other files required by application. Note: Assembly that contains only resources is called as Satellite assembly.
- Common Type System Common Type System (CTS) specifies the rules related to data types that languages must follow. As programs written in all languages are ultimately converted to MSIL, data types in all languages must be convertible to certain standard data types. CTS is a part of cross-language integration, which allows classes written in one language to be used and extended by another language.
- Cross-language Interoperability .NET provides support for language interoperability. However, it doesn't mean every program written in a language can be used by another language. To enable a program to be used with other languages, it must be created by following a set of rules called Cross Language Specifications (CLS).
- Cross-language inheritance is the ability to create a class in C# from a class created in VB.NET.
The following are different types of applications that can be developed in .NET:
Windows applications typical Client/Server applications.
Web applications Web sites and Intranet applications.
Web services Programs that are accessible from anywhere using universal protocols like HTTP and SOAP.
- Console Applications â€“ Simple console based applications without any GUI.Run from command prompt. Best suited to learn fundamentals and also for applications such as server sockets. Mobile Applications â€“ Contain web pages that run in mobile devices such as PDAs (Personal Digital Assistant) and Cell phones.